Minister of Education Varsha Gaikwad started part I of the procedure for completing the admission form on Saturday afternoon. “This year is different. We wanted to make sure that children don’t have to leave their homes to be accepted, so we gave them three months to submit original documents, provide online complaints procedures, and set up a mobile application, ” She said.
Among the changes introduced this year, the “Know Your Privilege” feature will help students expand their options. As soon as a student enters the grades, the selection stream and the quota at which he is applying, the system displays a list of the universities at which the limit values were similar to those of the child. CBSE and ICSE students can also convert their grades through the portal instead of visiting counseling centers or schools so the whole process stays online.
While Part I of the fill-in started on Saturday, the education department still has to announce a detailed schedule for the rest of the process. It usually starts one day after the SSC results are announced.
“Students will need to track the portal for further instructions. The mobile application will also be available in a few days so that students can fill out forms even if they don’t have a laptop or computer,” said an official.
This year, the education department also said that students applying under different quotas can upload their relevant documents online for admission.
If students do not have the documents or are unable to upload them due to technical difficulties, they can undertake to submit the original documents at a later date. Until then, the student’s admission would remain provisional.
More than 2.5 lakh students apply for the online admission process for a seat at over 830 junior colleges in the Mumbai metropolitan region. This year 3.2 lakh seats are offered.
Last year, 2.2 lakh students accepted and one lakh seat remained vacant.