Although more candidates are expected to appear for the exams, which will benefit candidates from the rural areas, especially during the Covid-19 situation, the lack of staff awareness of UPSC guidelines is causing panic among candidates. The candidates appeal to the state government to appoint special officials to create awareness of UPSC’s rules, which are completely different from other exams such as JEE, NEET. “In many cases, the test center staff refuse to allow simple wristwatches even though UPSC has approved it. Since time management will play a very large role in testing the toughest test for the coveted services, the lack of a wristwatch will affect the chances, ”said Niharika, a candidate preparing for public service for the second time.
Since officers are trained to handle exams like Eamcet and JEE, which do not allow candidates to take watches and other electronic devices into the exam hall, officers apply the same rules to UPSC exams, she said. Many candidates complain that staff at exam centers only behave rude to candidates in AP when their colleagues are satisfied with the situation in other states, including Tamil Nadu, Karnataka. “Since UPSC relies on the district collectors to oversee the agreements, the state government should take responsibility for training staff as it would help more state candidates pass the main exams,” said Harish, another candidate.
* * Candidates may use normal or simple wristwatches in the examination rooms / halls.
* * However, the use of watches with a special accessory that can be used as a communication device or smartwatch is strictly prohibited and candidates are not allowed to take such watches into the exam rooms / halls.
* * Candidates who have chosen their own writer can note that their own writer will only be admitted to the exam with a separate e-admit card for that writer.
* * Wearing a mask / face covering is mandatory for all candidates. Candidates without a mask / face covering will not be allowed into the venue.
* * Candidates must, however, remove their masks for review if required by exam officials.
* * Entry to the centers is closed 10 minutes before the exam schedule.